Authorized Marriage Commissioner
for the Province of Alberta

Frequently Asked Questions


How long does the ceremony take? The actual ceremony does not take very long - usually between 10 and 15 minutes. The time depending on the size of your wedding party, the location, and if you include readings, songs and your personalized vows.

Do you do rehearsals? Yes, I do, however, not every wedding requires a rehearsal. If you want/need one, it is best to do the rehearsal where you are getting married. I often recommend a rehearsal for wedding parties that are large or if the venue is challenging. Couples make the final decision.

Do you perform weddings for LGTBQ couples? Yes I do. That is why I became a marriage commissioner. 

We need witnesses. Can you help? Certainly! I provide witnesses for a small fee. The couple pays them directly in cash. This is a transaction between the couple and the witnesses. Witnesses are required to abide by provincial privacy legislation ( FOIP).    

How do I book your service? Send me an email or call with the date, time and location of your wedding. Please contact me at 780 416 1966 or send me an email (dawngreen @ shaw.ca).    

When do I pay? I ask for a $50 non-refundable deposit to reserve your date and time. Final payment is due immediately prior to the wedding.    

How can I pay? I accept cash and e-transfers.

When will you arrive for the wedding? For larger weddings, I arrive 30 minutes before the ceremony. For smaller weddings, I arrive about 15 minutes beforehand. I take care of last minute details to ensure everything is ready for you!

Is a blood test required to get a marriage licence in Alberta? No. 

Is there a waiting period once the married licence is issued? A couple can be married immediately after obtaining a licence. I have literally had couples call me at 4 pm to get married at 5 pm. This couple had their marriage licence with them. 

Does the couple getting married have to be residents of Alberta? There are no residency requirements to get married in Alberta.

Does the couple have to be Canadian citizens? No. However, they must provide government issued identification such as a driver’s licence or a passport.

Is it necessary for the couple and/or the witnesses to speak English? If there is a language concern, couples are strongly encouraged to have an interpreter attend the marriage ceremony. 

What are the requirements for witnesses? Witnesses needs to be over the age of 18 and can understand the proceedings. The two witnesses can be any two adults present at the ceremony. They do not have to be part of the formal wedding party. 

Is the marriage certificate issued at the time of the ceremony? No. A civil marriage statement is issued right after the ceremony. You must go to a registry office and order the marriage certificate after the wedding. If you require a copy of the marriage certificate right away, they need to let me know and we can work out something. 

Where can I have the ceremony performed? Almost anywhere! If the ceremony is to be held outdoors, you may wish to consider planning for an alternate venue in case of bad weather. I often perform small weddings in my home if couples don’t have a location. Remember that I can only marry couples in Alberta.

What do you wear for the ceremony? I normally wear black unless the couple specifically asks me to wear something different.

Where can we get a marriage licence? All Alberta registry agents are authorized to issue marriage licences. Check Alberta Registries for a registry agent near you.

How do I take my spouse's name? Contact an Alberta Registry Agent for information.

Find a Registry Agent